What Makes a Great Homestay?
A sensitive and patient family. We host students from around the world; it can be overwhelming for a student to be so far away from home. A thoughtful host family appreciates that each student is unique, and that communication and mutual understanding take effort.
Our hosts are interested in sharing their lifestyle in a positive and mutually rewarding way. We do not accept hosts who are interested in money alone. These motives are obvious to students, and interfere with the intended homestay experience: a safe, secure, welcoming environment to learn and grow in.
Things to Consider:
Do you have time for a student? Even the most self-assured students appreciate good quality time with their host family. Will you be in town for the duration of your student's stay? (Absences longer than three days must be approved by CHI in advance.)
Is everyone in your household ready to accept someone with a different background? If you have children, are they comfortable with bringing another person into the family?
Who are you expecting to host, and when is the best time to host them? Please note that our students come to participate in a variety of programs. Some are short term, some are seasonal, and some are very popular with students of particular nationalities.
What You Provide:
• A private bedroom, desk and closet.
• Nutritious meals, every day (meal plans vary).
• A patient, caring and friendly home atmosphere.
• A 100% English environment for ESL students, or 100% French environment for FSL students.
• The same guidance and attention you would want for a loved one traveling overseas!
What You Receive:
• A firsthand understanding of another culture.
• A new perspective on our culture, as seen through the eyes of your student.
• The opportunity to make a difference to a young citizen of the world.
• A monthly stipend; the rate depends on the age of the student, meal plan requested, and distance from school.
• Orientation and support from the CHI team and other experienced hosts.
All of our students fill out a detailed application and must comply with specific guidelines for behaviour and academic performance (all of which you can review on our website).